So sorry for the looong absence – I was travelling through Orlando, Miami, the Bahamas and New York City for the past couple of weeks. I’ll update you guys more about my trip in a bit (still trying to catch up on mad post-vacation work), but today I wanted to fill you in on an event that I’m TOTALLY PSYCHED ABOUT.
Why? Because it’s gonna be an awesome opportunity for you to learn some cool things about investing. Oh, and it’ll be my FIRST public appearance for cheerfulegg (woot woot!)
I hate most investment events
Ok, I know what you’re thinking. An investment event? Sounds scammy/boring/lame.
I agree with you. Most investment events ARE lame.
I know, because I’ve attended like a dozen, and every time I walk away from one I feel physically gross. It’s always run by some guy in a suit delivering a lame presentation with CLIPART and pictures of Ferraris and luxury condos, ending off with “You can get EXPLOSIVE Wealth Generating Big Money Passive Income with my Proprietary Technical Trading System!!!! Sign up today. Only $8,888.”
Stay away from these. Awaaaaaayyyyy.
I sometimes get solicited by people to promote these scammy events and products on my blog, and I turn most of them down. They just ain’t good for you, dear reader. Listen to Daddy.
So anyhoo, when Roland from Wealth Directions approached me about an idea for a financial bloggers event, I was skeptical. But he quickly won over my trust and enthusiasm when I heard what his idea was all about.
The Inaugural Personal Financial Investment Seminar
Roland approached a bunch of us financial bloggers and said, “Yo, guys. Seminars conducted by superstar professional investors cost a bomb and they’re more for fancy-schmancy hedge funds and banks. Wouldn’t it be totally cool to organise an event that’ll actually be USEFUL for retail investors, delivered by friendly, attractive bloggers like you?”
(Okay, he didn’t actually say it that way, but you get my drift)
Here’s the idea: It’s an investment event FOR the people, BY the people (cue fist bump in the air). It’s called Singapore’s first ever Personal Financial Investment Seminar.
A bunch of us personal finance bloggers will be getting together and speaking on a bunch of different investment topics. I’ve met most of the speakers and I can personally attest that they’re some of the friendliest, most down-to-earth guys you’ll ever meet.
Here’s the sexy lineup:
- Jared Seah from Singapore Man of Leisure. He’s the freakin’ hilarious dude who’s gonna go through a game to help you decide who you are and what your investing style is. Or, as he calls it, the “foreplay” (told you he was hilarious)
- Calvin Yeo from Dr Wealth. He’s the Mark Zuckerberg of the finance community who’ll talk about how to use the snazzy online platform he built to track and plan your finances.
- Lionel Yeo from cheerfulegg. Imma teach you how to use index investing to grow your wealth, invest without stress, and still have time to do cool things liiike memorise dance moves to Mambo songs (or whatever else floats your boat)
- Alvin Chow from BigFatPurse. He’s the uber-cool dude who quit his high-flying job to teach people investing through his popular personal finance blog. He’ll challenge the dominant stock-picking methodology with a better approach.
- Dr Tee from Ein55. He’s the only one among us with the prefix of “Dr” (so he must be smart), and he’ll share a quantitative method to time the market
Here’re the details:
- Date: 17 Jan 2015, Saturday
- Time: 12-5.30pm
- Place: NTUC Auditorium
Why You Should Come
1. Because you’ll learn something new without getting sold to
If you’d like to get a flavour of different investing styles, then this event is perfect for you. This is way better than those scammy investment seminars you see on Groupon because we’ll have NOTHING TO SELL.
That’s right. You can’t buy our courses, products, books, etc at the event even if you wanted to. We’d like to make this purely about education, so we all agreed that we wouldn’t sell anything. We’re also not getting paid and we’re doing it absolutely gratis.
Instead, we wanna do what we love to do most: share useful, actionable content with you, because we lurrve you!
2. Because I totally wanna meet you
We’re still working out the details, there’ll likely be opportunities for bloggers and readers to meet before the event and during the breaks. Like I said, this’ll my first public appearance, and after years of living in a cave (haha), I’m totally pumped up about meeting you face-to-face.
Besides, I set myself a KPI of 100 high-fives during the event. And I need to meet it or my friends will laugh at me. Even if you already know all about the topics, you should totally still come and give me a high-five.
3. Because we’ll provide food.
C’mon. Do you need another reason?
Step Right Up!
So I gotta apologize – I didn’t get round to sending this email till now because I was travelling for the past few weeks. And I totally regretted not sending it out earlier.
With just 5 days of sales and 3 months before the event, more than 50% of the seats have already been sold. I kid you not. We totally underestimated how popular the event was gonna be.
Part of the reason has to do with the price: A mere $16.
But it gets better. cheerfulegg readers get 50% off (!!!) by keying in the code LFRIEND on the check-out page. This is only valid till November.
Dude. That’s 8 bucks. That’s cheaper than a movie. Stop thinking about it already. I don’t want you to procrastinate, and then come back later to find out that all the seats are goooooooonne.
Come join us! I’m looking forward to giving you a high-five 🙂
Image credits: spunkinator